I Can’t Stop Listening To Miley Cyrus’ Cover Of OutKast’s “Hey Ya”
Miley Cyrus’ Bangerz tour has begun, and it’s dragging André 3000 along with it. But that’s really not a bad thing.
1. Here’s Miley Cyrus’ smoky, swaying cover of OutKast’s 2003 smash, “Hey Ya.”
Her slowed-down rendition calls attention to the emotional range of the great song. Lines like “But does she really want it / But can’t stand to see me / Walk out the door?” are sunny when your grandma is dancing to them at a wedding, but in Miley’s hands, they’re half tipsy, half devastating.
2. Miley’s currently on a 38-show tour. She’s filling out a set of songs from her 2013 LP with covers, because fans don’t really know her older stuff.
Video available at: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_VxkhzX7YLE.
Here she is in Oakland, doing Fleetwood Mac’s “Landslide” in an oversized tee emblazoned with her own face. She’s either reading the lyrics off her phone or checking Instagram.
3. She also does Dolly Parton’s “Jolene,” as former Girls frontman (and Miley fan) Christopher Owens points out:
Miley did a beautiful cover of Jolene tonight, she was like a baby Dolly wearing nothing but a ball cap and an XL-Tee
4. Here’s another Miley “Jolene” rendition, from before the big haircut.
5. So, “Backwoods Barbies,” please record a duet?
Scott Barbour / Getty
Christopher Polk / Getty